Just like physical stores, eCommerce websites require smart merchandising to maximize sales from their existing traffic. How to manage your push product on your most popular pages? Which products should you pick and how to arrange them? Here are our most effective tips to optimize your e-shop.
All the criteria to determine which products to push onto your website
To find out which products you should “push” on your most popular pages, it is essential to consider the following criteria:
- Inventory needs to be cleared out;
- new items;
- products with higher margins, which for example you can promote to kick-start purchase cycles;
- best-selling items;
- products for which your price is competitively set, especially for items that internet users can compare on other websites;
- products or offers for members only or customers who are registered to your Loyalty Program. In this case, your push product enables you to increase your CRM database over time;
- best deals of the day;
- traffic source(s) to this page: it is even more important if you manage PPC campaigns.
Where and how to push your products?
These parameters are to be assessed in their own specific environment. Is it a blog article? A category page? A product page? A homepage?
The way to go will vary from one situation to another, which will impact product placements and obviously the products selected.
For a category page, for instance, best-selling items are most often among the first to show. Put your best selling items there then! In the case of a product page, it would be worth playing on both cross-selling and up selling through personalized recommendations or complementary accessories.
In the case of an entry page from which visitors tend to go on with their exploration of the website, you may want to push products at the navigation menu level.
Formats available to push products are plenty:
- Banners that fit on mobile;
- Marks (e.g. “Best Deal”…) on certain products;
- Slide-in, for example, to announce that a client from X city or Y age has just purchased a product;
- Custom recommendation blocks (cf. Amazon);
- Dedicated inserts with expert testimonials to highlight a feature;
- Best-seller, promotional items, or flash operations inserts above or below related item recommendations (unless this is your home page);
- Suggested looks as part of ready-to-wear shops;
- Visuals and videos of products inserted in blog articles, tutorials or guides…
How to promote products in popular blog articles?
Your inbound marketing strategy may include a blog dedicated to your e-commerce website. If this is not the case, you should consider it to improve your ranking and create a real relationship with your customers and prospects.
If you notice that an article is particularly popular, it would be interesting to use it as a channel to push products.
Depending on the theme of your blog, you can, for example, recommend specific models, add comparison tables to help visitors make a choice (pointing to the products or categories in question), insert beautiful visuals, or even 360 videos.
Another beneficial aspect of this eCommerce blog strategy is to bring added-value to your visitors. What’s more, you will more easily get backlinks to your website, which will benefit your whole eCommerce platform in the long run.
Your eMerchandising choices must be tested, analysed and optimized!
This should be no surprise but it is crucial to remember that you should measure the performance of your product push to take the right decisions and to optimize your eCommerce website! A tool such as Mazeberry Merchandising accompanies you in your daily merchandising tasks, and lets you know in the blink of an eye which products to showcase.
Have you already enforced a product push strategy onto your website? What approaches have worked best for you? Let us know in the comments section below!